By Chip Watts, CPM, CCIM®, IREM Senior Vice President & 2018 Secretary/Treasurer Nominee
RPAC President’s Circle Golden R® Investor
As an affiliate member of the National Association of REALTORS®, CPMs are eligible to invest in the REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC). The purpose of RPAC is clear: REALTORS®, and its affiliate designees such as CPM, CCIM®, SIOR®, ALC® and CRE®, raise and spend money to elect candidates who understand and support their interests. Candidates who receive support from RPAC are not selected based on their political party or ideology, but solely on their support of real estate issues. RPAC supports federal, state and local candidates who understand that a vibrant real estate market is only achieved when both residential and commercial markets are strong. In short, it’s a package deal.
The money to accomplish these objectives comes from voluntary contributions made by REALTORS® and affiliated designations. These are not members’ dues; this is money given freely by REALTORS® and other members, such as CPMs, in recognition of how important campaign fundraising is to the political process. RPAC doesn’t buy votes. RPAC enables us at IREM to support candidates that support the issues that are important to our profession and livelihood.
The return on your RPAC investment is substantial. RPAC investments have helped retain important polices, such as 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges and Carried Interest, which were preserved in the Tax Bill. RPAC has also allowed us to support candidates at the state and local level who support our issues.
With IREM’s partnership with the REALTORS®, we are over 1.3 million voices together. If each one of us provides just our individual annual investment goal of $15 per year to RPAC, our industry will have over almost $20,000,000 to support candidates at the local, state and federal level who support our issues.
RPAC regularly works on commercial and multifamily issues, such as:
- ADA “Drive-by” Lawsuit Reform: We support the ADA Education and Reform Act (H.R. 620), which will provide a notice and cure provision to stop unscrupulous lawyers from threatening lawsuits to property owners on easily correctable deficiencies to the ADA. This legislation passed the House and is awaiting consideration in the Senate.
- Reform of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP): We support reforming NFIP to ensure its ongoing sustainability that it encourages cost-effective private flood insurance options, and through long-term reauthorization, it remains a viable option for property owners for years to come.
- Rent Control: We oppose government control of rents and support a property owner’s right to establish rents that produce sufficient income to accommodate the basic needs of residents and encourage investment in new and existing properties. We urge elected officials at all levels of government to oppose rent control as it is counterproductive to the best interests of all segments of society and the economic well-being of the nation.
- Data Security: We support government efforts aimed at sharing information about possible cyber threats, establishing reasonable data security standards, and helping avert security breaches and their aftermath. We oppose legislation that would be overly onerous on property owners and managers or their clients.
Making an investment in RPAC is simple and easy. Here’s what you need to do:
- Call your local or state REALTOR® Association and tell them you want to have a voice in the democratic process by investing in RPAC today.
- Contact National RPAC at 202-383-1029 and make a personal investment using a personal credit card or check payable to RPAC.
- For more information or to invest online, please click here. Your generous investment will go directly to the election campaigns of pro-real estate candidates.
Remember: As a CPM designee, YOU are a member of the REALTOR® family. There are many tools, resources, programs and grants available to you and your chapter. We encourage you to actively use the benefits your REALTOR® family can provide at the local, state and federal level – including investing in RPAC!
Thank you to our 450 CPM investors from IREM who have invested over $68,000 to date this year in RPAC! Your investment has already proven to be productive!
Make an investment in RPAC today!! If you have any questions, please contact Liz Demorest, NAR PAC Fundraising Manager at LDemorest@realtors.org.
Contributions to RPAC are not deductible for federal income tax purposes. Contributions are voluntary and are used for political purposes. The amounts indicated are merely guidelines and you may contribute more or less than the suggested amounts. The National Association of REALTORS® and its state and local associations will not favor or disadvantage any member because of the amount contributed or a decision not to contribute. You may refuse to contribute without reprisal. Your contribution is split between National RPAC and the State PAC in your state. Contact your State Association or PAC for information about the percentages of your contribution provided to National RPAC and to the State PAC. The National RPAC portion is used to support federal candidates and is charged against your limits under 52 U.S.C. 30116. Federal election law prohibits RPAC from soliciting contributions from persons outside the restricted class. Any contributions received from outside the restricted class will be returned.